7.29.2014

My True 2- Mixed Media Album

Well hello there! Today over at the Heidi Swapp blog I am sharing a very special mini album that I created using the Mixed Media Scrapbook Kit! This kit is loaded with really fun different pieces, like canvas, chipboard, and my favorite out of the kit, printed transparencies! So cute! The possibilities with this kit are endless!
Recently someone in my family had a very scary health issue, like a really really close call.. It was super scary to say the least, but everything's ok now thank the Lord ;) but it was a fast reminder about how precious life really is. It only takes a second for things to be turned upside down, which is why it is so important to document and write things down! This was what inspired my project.
Occasionally I will write a letter to the boys or do a page or something, but I never really made a whole album devoted to just us 3, so that was my main goal. It isn't finished of course, it will be an ongoing journal type of album with lots of little notes, pictures, pockets with ephemera we collect along the way, our favorite Bible verses, maybe some little bits & pieces of advice for their journey. We've had a rough road at some points, which has brought us super close and I don't want to leave anything unsaid. And I can't tell you how many times I got so choked up while writing letters to them! If you haven't written a special letter to a loved one, you should!  It really makes you dig deep. Not only is it awesome to give something that was hand written for the obvious reasons, but when you're in the process of writing it can really reveal a lot about your relationship with that person, can reveal so many emotions and memories that you have forgotten or just maybe lost along the way!
So here is my book. The kit comes with 2 honkin pieces of chipboard for covers, they are in the cutest shape of a Memory File! I love them! I wanted the tab to stay at the top, so I sliced the front cover down the middle and created a gate fold album.

My True 2- Mixed Media Kit Album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Here's some details on the front cover, just mixed a bunch of pretty things I have in my Heidi Swapp stash ;)  The "true" heart is from the Make Pretty Stuff die cut tags pack at JoAnn's! If you have this heart and would like to do the same thing-
1. Lay down strips of washi tape on the white stripes to mask them off.
2. Apply a generous layer of Magic Medium to the purple stripes, pouncing down on top of the tape edges so the glue doesn't sneak underneath the tape.  Coat the Magic Medium with gold glitter.
3. Let this set for a few minutes, then peel off tape.
4. Voila! Turns out super sparkly and cute!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

I used a mixture of so many different products lol! I pulled from the Dreamy Collection, Mixed Company, Vintage Chic, Hello Today, and Color Magic woohoo! I'm a mixer what can I say.

Ok so here's how to muck up your cover and add some awesome texture! This might look tricky, but it's actually super easy and of course it's so much fun because you're making a mess ;) Now I am hooked and will be making textured albums in every color....

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

K so here's the dealio;

1. Create a mixture of Opaque Magic Medium and the Color Shine of your choice, and using a sponge applicator smear it all over the plain chipboard cover. Let dry.
2. Lay a Heidi Swapp stencil over the top of the cover, and scrape modeling paste over the stencil wherever you want your design to be, & let that totally dry. (scrape off excess and put it back in it's container) I totally covered my cover with the pattern, but you don't have to! Sporadic stenciling looks awesome too!
3. Create another mixture of Magic Medium and the same Color Shine you used before, and lightly go over the raised paste stencil pattern. I think I did mine a little lighter than the first time...
4. When that was dry, I sprayed some of the Gold Color Shine in a few spots and then wiped it off. It looks really pretty in the sunlight because it really shines in the cracks, it's neat!
5. It was still a little too dark for me, so I lightly brushed some gesso over some of the cover and it gave it this really fab shabby chic look, which I love! Really brightened it up!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Here's a look at the inside!
This is what you see when you "open up the doors.."

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

I trimmed the edges of the Dreamy Photo Stack so it would fit on the right door, then put some pictures of the boys and I on our adventures.

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

I have what they call an "offroad family" and we have been going to the dunes to ride ATV's forever and we just have a really great time, it's beautiful up there!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Honestly I don't know where he gets it...

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Ok. Maybe many of you have seen this picture on my Instagram, well the boys ran into the drug store to get something and came back with SILLY STRING AND ATTACKED ME AS SOON AS THEY GOT IN THE CAR!!!! I absolutely had to make this the first picture that you see when you open this book because I have never seen them laugh as hard as they did at that moment! It was just the funniest thing. Never a dull moment ;) And yes there is still some in my hair.

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Some lovely layers, which made the gate fold album awesome because if you alternate sides with your pages, then you just keep peeling them back one by one! It makes it a little more interactive and fun for people to look through it!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

The kit has some smaller white die cut tags that are adorable! I covered the front of mine with paper and left the back white so I can journal on it. I haven't decided what to put in that little window yet...

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Here's one of the transparency pages in the kit, I love it! The glitter words look awesome on them! Just adds another interesting page to peel back ;)

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum


My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

I took a piece of patterned paper from Hello Today, trimmed it to the height I wanted it, then folded it in half. If you adhere the left, bottom, and right side of it, you just made yourself a pocket! Use a large circle punch and punch it halfway into the top to create the little dip in the top!
Ok don't make fun of my preggo picture. I was 7 months here, but by the time I hit 8 people were telling me I looked like an eclipse. I was like yeah? That's awesome.

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Another way I love to hide journaling is by mounting a picture to the front of a plain white card, then you just have a nice little spot to write a whole bunch of sweetness!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum


My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

Here I created a page by using one of the Color Magic banners! I sprayed one side with Coral Color Shine and covered the other side with patterned paper from Mixed Company. Just a fun little shaped page to add rather than a square ;)

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

And finally the back cover, just made a little page on it. I can't wait to add more pages to this album! I felt like I could've put 20 more in while I was making this! It's going to be one chunky monkey!

My True 2- mixed media album by Sarah Bargo @sarahbargo @heidiswapp #heidiswapp #scrapbooking #mixedmedia #minialbum

So that's my mixed media journal, I hope you are inspired to grab your amazing Mixed Media Scrapbook Kits and document something special! The possibilities are endless!

SUPPLIES; Opaque Magic Medium, Die Cut Tags,  Scrapbook Kit, Watercolor Tags, Color Magic Striped Alpha, Glitter Stickers Gold,    Hello Today 12x12 Paper Pad, Mixed Company 12x12 Paper Pad, Coral Color Shine, Georgia Peach Color Shine, Embossed Jumbo NumbersJumbo Pennants, Dreamy Ticket To Ride, Dreamy Clear Words, Dreamy Jumble Word Stickers, Mixed Company Ephemera


 

 

4 comments:

  1. I love your mini-book, Sarah....it is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and shabby chic style album, fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have the sweetest readers ever, thank you for leaving me some love!